PENELOPE ‘PENNIE’ MARIE NUNN MADANAT was last seen 10/25/91 at approximately 1:30am leaving Cowboys Night Club (now Rockin Rodeo) on Gould Drive in Bossier City, Louisiana. She was 23-years-old. Foul play has not been ruled out.
The mother of two, four-year-old Keith and two-year-old Sarah, was a graduate of Woodlawn High School and a newly-qualified Cosmetologist. Three weeks prior to her disappearance, she obtained employment at Pro-Cuts on Airline in Shreveport. From all accounts, she was excited about this new chapter in her life, and was eager to learn.
She was separated from her Jordanian-born husband Akhim ‘Eddie’ Madanat.
Mother Matthewina Butler and sisters Marti and Brenda never gave up hope. They kept her case in the media for many years. Sadly, Marti passed away without knowing the fate of her beloved sister Pennie.1
CIRCUMSTANCES OF DISAPPEARANCE
Penelope was at Cowboys 10/25/91 celebrating her first paycheck from Pro-Cuts. Her sister Marti was to go with her, but at the last minute stayed home to babysit her niece Sarah, who wasn’t feeling well.
After several hours, Pennie was inebriated and agreed her estranged husband Eddie should drive her home. Once in his car the couple started arguing. She demanded he stop the car, she got out and started walking back towards the club. An employee at a nearby Kettle restaurant observed her enter the establishment with no shoes on to request change for the payphone. The witness also noticed a dark car in the parking lot; Eddie drove a dark Honda Prelude.2
Pennie’s car was found 10/26/91 still parked at at the club, with her purse and makeup inside. It’s unclear why Eddie didn’t report her missing at that time, or contact her family about her whereabouts.
Marti became concerned when Pennie didn’t show up or call after two days, and filed a missing persons report 10/27/91.3
PERSON OF INTEREST
According to Fred Gregory, Bossier City Police Detective, Eddie is a person of interest based on two failed polygraph exams that indicated extreme deception. Authorities believe he fled to Jordan with the couple’s children, and they are unable to extradite him to Louisiana for questioning.4
Authorities investigated a suspected connection between Penelope’s disappearance and the June 1990 murder of Anthony Dickson, 22. Anthony’s decapitated and partially burned body was found beside his vehicle on Hwy 1. Eddie was questioned by Hot Spring, Arkansas authorities about the murder in June 1991, but no evidence was found in which to base an arrest.5
THEORIES & SUSPICIONS
Ms. Butler said she observed scratches on Eddie when he picked Sarah up the next day (10/26/91), but didn’t think much about it at the time. She believes her daughter is dead because she threatened to “tell what she knew,” if he didn’t leave her alone.6
Friends believe Penelope may have been forced to travel to and remain in the Middle East.7
- Nicknames: Pennie
- Physical: 5’7, 128 pounds, auburn hair, blue eyes
- Marks/Tattoos: “H” shaped birthmark on left arm, small mole above right side of lip, pierced ears
- Clothing: black riding pants, black shirt, sheer long sleeve black jacket, black flats
- Jewelry: braces on her teeth, initial ring with a ‘P’ in center
Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office is working to locate Penelope Marie Nunn Madanat and bring the person(s) responsible to justice. If you have information about her disappearance or current whereabouts, please call (318) 741-8611.
Rev. 02/27/22Submit corrections/updates here.
- Obituary: Matthewina “Marti” Leith Craig Braley, accessed 02/27/22.[↩]
- The Shreveport Times: Missing-Case will likely remain unsolved, page 2A, published 10/26/01. [↩]
- Shreveport Times: Missing local woman sought, page 34A, published 11/10/91. [↩]
- The Shreveport Times: Woman’s disappearance haunts mother, front page, published 10/26/01. [↩]
- The Shreveport Times: Police seek links between crimes, page 13A, published 01/03/92. [↩]
- KTBS Channel 3: Where is Penelope “Penny” Madanat?, published 05/08/15. [↩]
- FaceBook Page: Missing People in Louisiana, post of 12/02/18. [↩]