Melinda Ruth Jones, 20, was last seen 03/18/83 at the Redwood Hotel in Leesville, Louisiana. Authorities believe she was kidnapped. Her remains were found 04/01/83 in Allen Parish, near the Vernon Parish line.1 2
Melinda lived in Kerrville, Texas, and was in Louisiana selling film door-to-door for Panacolor Labs. She was reported missing by coworkers.3
Melinda was shot once in the back and once in the head. Her body was found partially submerged in a water-filled culvert on Old Mab Road at Middle Creek, just south of Elizabeth. It appeared her body had been there at least a week.3 5
Melinda was convicted in July 1982 for criminal attempt-theft in Kerrville. Judge Julius Neunhoffer sentenced her to 90 days in jail probated 12 months and assessed a $390 fine.6 It is unknown if this was a factor in her murder.
Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Office and Allen Parish Sheriff’s Office are working in conjunction to solve the Melinda Ruth Jones case and bring her killer(s) to justice. If you were acquainted with her in Leesville or have any information about this crime, please call Vernon at (337) 238-1311, Allen at (337) 639-4353 or Crime Stoppers at (337) 389-7001.
Please submit corrections/updates here.Submit corrections/updates here.
- Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Office FB page, posted 05/28/20.
- Opelousas Daily World News: Body identified, page 2A, published 04/13/83.
- Alexandria Town Talk: Apparent murder victim identified as Texas woman, page A5, published 04/12/83.
- Find A Grave, accessed 07/01/20.
- Alexandria Town Talk: Obituary, published 04/15/83.
- Kerrville Mountain Sun: 13 cases heard in county court, published 07/31/82.