Loretta Lynn Chaisson Lewis, 28, was last seen 05/17/05 in Jennings, Louisiana. Her body was found in the Grand Marais Canal 05/20/05.
According to husband Murphy Lewis, although they were no longer together, they were good friends. She spoke everyday with her sons, then ages 3 and 6, no matter where she was or what she was doing.1
Loretta is survived by husband Murphy Lewis, children Keylan and Kendric, father Thomas Chaisson, and brothers Chad and Nicholas Chaisson. She is interred at Doucet Cemetery in Jefferson Davis Parish.2
Loretta is considered the first ‘Jeff Davis 8‘ aka ‘Jennings 8’ victim.
Loretta’s body was found 05/20/05 floating in the east fork of Grand Marais Canal, a few miles southwest of Jennings (just north of the LA Highway 1126 bridge, about 3 miles west of LA Highway 26). She was partially clothed, and had no shoes on. The advanced decomposition caused difficulty with identifying and collecting evidence.
Autopsy found Loretta had no physical injuries. Toxicology report showed “high levels of drugs and alcohol” in her system, but no cause of death was determined.3 Investigators believe she may have been in the canal three-four days.4
Sheriff Ivy Woods, who took office in 2012, told media they “…still do not know that all eight were homicides.” “Like Loretta… Was she killed, or was it possible overdose? At this time, as far as I know, going back, it’s still unknown.”
“It’s still a top priority at the Sheriff’s Office. We still have detectives assigned to the case. As soon as we get information that’s fresh, everybody jumps on it and tries to check the legitimacy…”5
Similarities to Other Cases
See Jeff Davis 8.
Loretta allegedly told family a detective with Jennings Police Department asked she spy on a drug deal for them.
During a 04/06/11 memorial, her cousin Layla Chaisson told media “…as far as them not making any arrests, it’s bull. I think it’s complete and absolute bull.”6
A Father’s Plea
“We love and miss Loretta. She was a loving mother, wife, and daughter. If you have any information about her death, please let someone know.” ~Thomas Chaisson, father 7
Jefferson Davis Parish Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are working in conjunction to solve the Loretta Lynn Chaisson Lewis case, and bring her killer(s) to justice. If you have information about this crime, please call your local FBI Office or the Sheriff’s Office at (337) 824-3850.
Please submit corrections/updates here.Submit corrections/updates here.
- FOX29 News Express with Rhonda Kitchens: Murder in a Small Town-Losing Loretta, aired 07/07/14
- Find A Grave: Loretta Lynn Chaisson Lewis, accessed 10/07/20.
- Lafayette Daily Advertiser: Mystery, page 5A, published 11/16/08.
- Opelousas Daily World: Woman’s body found in water could take a week to identify, page 6A, published 06/20/05.
- KPLC TV 7: Fourteenth anniversary of first “Jeff Davis 8” body discovered, aired 05/20/19.
- Lafayette Daily Advertiser: Sending Hope to Heaven-families of serial killer victims release balloons to loved ones, pages 1A and 7A, published 04/07/11.
- Jefferson Davis Parish Sheriff’s Office: Hot Cases, accessed 08/09/20.