At the time of her death she lived at 3435 Hollywood in Baton Rouge.
Debra is remembered by friends as being a “gentle, beautiful soul.”2
She is survived by sister Edna Dora ‘Sue’ Goodspeed-Jarreau. Parents Luther and Mary, and sister Judith passed away without knowing the identity of the person(s) who took Debra’s life. She is interred at Roselawn Memorial Park and Mausoleum in Baton Rouge.3
Randy and Debra were seen leaving The Pub and Game Room, located at 11455 Plank Road, at approx 1:30am 06/13/82. From there the couple drove to Comite River, near Dyer Road Bridge, for a party. According to witnesses, when the party broke up they stayed to swim.4
Men running trotlines discovered Randy’s remains approx 8am 06/16/82, in a thickly wooded area on the east bank. They notified authorities and the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office soon secured the area.
Deputies found Randy’s black 4×4 truck on the west bank, with driver’s side door open, and the couple’s clothing and personal belongings nearby.5 This immediately prompted a search for Debra, and they found her body approx 3:30p in a wooded area on the west bank.6
Autopsy determined cause of death was strangulation.7
My research revealed very little about Debra’s background or the crime. If you have a reputable source of information for either, please let me know so it can be incorporated into this summary.
East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office is working to solve the Debra Hortense Goodspeed case and bring his killer(s) to justice. If you have information about this crime, please call (225) 389-5000.
Please submit corrections/updates here.Submit corrections/updates here.
- FaceBook Page: Greater Baton Rouge Crime Stoppers, post of 06/14/19.
- FaceBook Page: Greater Baton Rouge Crime Stoppers, comments on post of 06/19/19.
- Find A Grave: Debra Hortense Goodspeed, accessed 11/21/20.
- The Franklin Banner: Parents offer reward for murderer of son, front page, published 08/02/84.
- FaceBook Page: Justice for Randy Hooper, post of 08/24/20, Unknown Newspaper Clipping: Man’s body found near Comite River.
- FaceBook Page: Justice for Randy Hooper, post of 08/24/20, Unknown Newspaper Clipping: Probe into double murder continues.
- The Shreveport Journal: Two bodies found near Cormite River, page 17A, published 06/17/82.