He was a social person and enjoyed playing music.3
Danny is survived by children Cheyenne Holt, Hannah McClain, and Draven Blood; siblings Corky Ball, Mike Holt, Pamela Sikes and Donna Clum. He is interred at Pinehill Cemetery in Leesville.4
Amanda Irey, Danny’s girlfriend, called 911 at approximately 10am “frantically screaming and pleading for help.” She later told investigators she and Danny were arguing alone in the home when he suddenly picked up his Winchester 9422 .22 caliber rifle and shot himself under the chin.1
Irey’s clothing was sent to a forensics team, and a blood splatter expert examined the scene. Forensic analysis did not support her assertions, and concluded:5
- There was no contact wound under the chin.
- The weapon was fired from a distance, to the back of the skull, in close proximity to his ear.
- It was physically impossible, based on arm & weapon measurements, for him to have shot himself.
- Clothing and blood spatter evidence indicated Danny was standing over a chair in which Irey was sitting at the time he was shot. When he fell to the floor, she would have had an unobstructed view of the perpetrator.
Arrest & Release
Irey was later arrested by Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Office on a charge of second-degree murder in the death of Danny Holt; however, the Grand Jury failed to indict, and she was released.1
As of this writing, the case remains unsolved.
Mary Holt, 83, continued “to stay in contact with detectives, making sure to call the office regularly in hopes of there being any sort of update in the death of her son. Throughout the years, her dedication was unwavering. She deserved closure and we are determined to provide that…”~ Detective Jordan.5 Sadly, Ms. Mary passed away 06/12/20.
Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Office is working to solve the Danny Rae Holt case and bring his killer(s) to justice. If you have information about this crime, please call Detective Rhonda Jordan at (337) 238-1311.
Please submit corrections/updates here.Submit corrections/updates here.
- KALB News Channel 5: Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Department reopens a cold case after six years, aired 10/28/19.
- KLAX 31 News That Works for You: Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Department reopens a cold case from 2014, published 10/24/19.
- KALB News Channel 5: VPSO reopens 2013 cold homicide case, published 10/23/19.
- Find A Grave, accessed 09/22/20.
- American Press: Authorities taking fresh look at ‘13 homicide, published 11/06/19.
- KJAS 107.3 FM, The Online Source for News: Investigators in Vernon Parish reopen 2013 death case which they say was murder, published 10/23/19.